Baked Goods Contest Rules
September 21st, 2019 MEMORIAL PARK
1. Contest is open to amateur cooks only. Professional cooks are not allowed. (A
professional cook is one who is engaged in the preparation of baked goods for money.)
2. Entries must check in at the judges table between noon and 1:00 pm on Saturday,
September 21, 2019.
3. The following are the categories for this year’s Baked Goods Competition.
NOTE: NO LATE CHECK-INS AFTER 1:00PM WILL BE PERMITTED.
Fruit: Apple, Cherry, Peach, Blueberry, etc.
Custard: Pumpkin, Cheesecake, Lemon Meringue, Pecan, etc.
Cream: Lemon, Chocolate, Banana, Coconut, etc.
Bar - includes Brownies, Lemon Bars, etc.
Other - includes Sugar, Peanut Butter, Oatmeal Raisin, etc.
Yeast - Crust Soft/Chewy, Wheat yeast flavor
Quick Breads - Nut & Fruit
**NEW** Decorated Cupcake
Decorated cupcake with icing
***Read rule #11 for the details. THIS WILL BE JUDGED SEPARATELY.
4. Entries must be placed in a disposable container covered with plastic wrap or
appropriate top or placed in a close-able plastic bag. The festival committee will not
be responsible for any non-disposable containers of any type.
5. Entries must be home prepared from scratch by the entrant. NO MIXES, BOUGHT CRUST
OR DOUGH FOR THE BAKING CONTEST.
6. The recipe must be provided with each entry.
7. Entries requiring refrigeration WILL NOT be accepted.
8. You may only enter once per category. This means you may only enter once in each of
the Pie categories, once in each of the Cake categories, once in the cupcake
decorating and once in each of the Cookie categories. You may enter up to eleven categories. The categories are listed above. The entry fee for the first entry is $10.00. Each entry after the first entry is $5.00. For example, the fee for one entry in both Pies and Cakes is $15.00. The entry fee for one entry in each of the eleven categories is $60.00. All entry forms and payment of applicable fee must be paid before entries will be judged.
9. Judging will begin immediately following the close of the check in time on September 21, 2019. No late entries will be accepted. All entries will be submitted to the judges in numbered containers. Entries will be judged in groups of like items. Each judge will score each numbered entry on a scale in each of the following areas: aroma, general appearance, texture/tenderness, and taste. Total points per entry will determine placement in each category. The decision of the judges is final.
10. First, second, and third place entries in each category will be awarded ribbons. In addition, a cash prize of $50 will be awarded to the highest overall score given to a single entry (regardless of which category it comes from). In case of a tie for ribbons, placement will be determined by a coin toss. In case of a tie for the cash prize, the winning entries will divide the prize equally.
11. Decorated cupcake – Cupcakes have become so popular in the last few year’s that we thought it would be fun to add a new category to the baking contest. This contest will be judged for decorating only. It is the only category that the cake doesn’t have to be from scratch.
Again, it is only open to amateur decorators. It needs to be a normal size cupcake, no bigger than 2” in diameter. It can be decorated
however you would like, using at least 85% of edible decorations. The cupcakes will be judged separately from the baking contest. There will only be one category and that will be the Best Decorated Cupcake. Each judge will score the cupcakes on neatness, creativity and overall appearance. The decision of the judges is final. There will be a first, second and third place ribbon given out along with a Grand prize ribbon and $20.00 cash reward for the grand prize cupcake.
FOR MORE INFORMATION CALL Tammy (816-304-4589)
OR EMAIL firstname.lastname@example.org